Five Minutes That Matter
Help save lives by raising awareness of the importance of cervical screening!
Cervical screening saves around 5,000 lives a year, yet attendance is currently at its lowest for a decade. The NFWI urges WI members to attend routine screening, to take action to raise awareness of the importance of cervical screening and address barriers to attendance to help eradicate cervical cancer
Disley WI, Cheshire Federation
At the NFWI Annual Meeting in 2019, 97% of delegates voted in support of a resolution calling on WI members to raise awareness of the importance of cervical screening and help to address barriers to attendance.
While it’s not a test for cancer, regular cervical screening (also referred to as a ‘smear test’) is the best way for abnormal cells to be picked up early and treated (if necessary) to prevent cancer developing. It is estimated that the test currently prevents 70% of cervical cancer deaths. However, this figure could be 83% if all eligible women attended.
Cervical screening is a choice, and attendance is currently at a 21-year low.
Our campaign seeks to support more women in making an informed decision about whether or not to take up their cervical screening invitations.
Here are some of the ways you and your WI can get involved in this campaign:
- Talk about it! We can all help to challenge the myths around cervical screening by speaking to friends and family about the test and why it’s important.
- Reach out to your GP surgery to find out whether they have any plans to launch a local initiative to improve cervical screening rates in your area and, if so, how your WI could help out.
- Make a calming lavender-scented sachet to take to your own cervical screening appointments or to give to a friend or family member. Step-by-step instructions for this project can be found in the 5 Minutes That Matter campaign action pack.
- Register your interest in taking part in NFWI research on cervical screening by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organise an awareness session on cervical screening. Why not use our WI 5 Minutes That Matter poster and leaflet to promote the event? We have also created a Welsh version of the poster and the leaflet.
- Share your cervical screening story with us by getting in touch using the contact information above.
Get on Board for a Better Bus Service
Witnessing a massive decline in the number of bus services, we are calling on both local and national governments to take action. Get on board and find out how you can get involved!
Over the last decade there has been a massive decline in the number of bus services, particularly of those is rural and semi-rural areas. In order to alleviate loneliness, improve health and wellbeing, as well as promoting sustainable development, the NFWI calls on the Government and local authorities to increase subsidies and work in partnership with bus companies and community transport operators to enable an adequate provision of services.
Burniston & Cloughton WI, North Yorkshire Federation
With bus services under threat across England, Wales and the Islands, this resolution calls on both local and national governments to take action. This campaign seeks to raise awareness of the importance of local bus services and to empower members, WIs and federations to make the case for buses in their local communities.
Did you know?
The NFWI is collecting case studies about members’ experiences of local bus services. Have you experienced a loss of service? What has been the impact of this? Has your community campaigned successfully to save a local service? We want to hear from you. Call or email us with your story at email@example.com or 020 7371 9300 ext. 238.
We are also asking members to support and use their local bus services – speaking up to make sure their value is recognised in the face of cuts or reductions and to push for viable and sustainable services. We have outlined various ways for you to get started on this campaign in our new campaign action pack.